Together with FE Associates, we have designed ‘the Leading from the Middle’ development programme specifically for sector middle managers who are increasingly vital to the success of Colleges, Independent Training Providers, Sixth-Form Colleges and Adult Community Learning Providers.
Funded by the Department for Education (DfE), this programme aims to improve the professional effectiveness of this important tier of sector leadership. It forms a key part of our national leadership programme, which includes support for Principals and Chief Finance Officers.
Delivered by a team of experts from across the sector and beyond and supported with a range of supplementary input from sector experts the programme will motivate and inspire middle leaders to succeed in their sector careers.
Launched in the autumn of 2018, there are four cohorts and the following dates have been agreed for the first two. There will be 60 places across the four cohorts:
- Cohort 1 – London, starting on 31 October 2018
- Cohort 2 – Birmingham, starting on 24 January 2019
Who is the programme for?
- Colleagues in middle leadership roles with responsibility and accountability for a functional area or curriculum department and the performance of a team.
- Colleagues from all parts of the FE and Training sector, including those from colleges, ACL providers and independent training providers.
- Colleagues with responsibility for curriculum, learning, operations and business support.
We particularly welcome participants that reflect the wider communities we serve as we value diversity and inclusion and are committed to equality of opportunities.
We recognise that the evidence shows that often people from minority groups may feel less confident about putting themselves forward for a programme such as this and we are keen to hear from people with a very wide range of experiences and backgrounds to enrich the discussion and debate
The programme features:
- four face-to-face delivery sessions over nine weeks
- supported by bespoke online content
- one-to-one mentoring
- focused learning activity to meet a particular organisational challenge.
The programme’s learning approach is centred around the specific needs of the individual middle leader.
As well as undertaking a range of core learning elements, participants will be able to explore a number of areas appropriate to their key areas of development.
Programme content for Leading from the Middle has been developed following research and feedback from sector leaders and middle managers.
With a clear focus on personal and professional effectiveness, coupled with learning that impacts on organisational performance, this programme is suitable for middle leaders and managers across all aspects of an FE and Training organisation.
The programme offers five modules of learning
- Module 1: The FE and Skills Business – building strategic awareness
- Module 2: The Modern FE and Training Leader – What I Need In My Leadership Toolkit
- Module 3: Leading a contemporary and diverse workforce
- Module 4: Leading Operations and the Client Experience
- Module 5: Achieving personal and career success
Testimonials from other ETF Leadership programmes
"The learning experience has been invaluable for me at this stage of my career."
Principal and CEO,
"A thought provoking and extremely helpful intervention for me personally and for our sector."
Greater Brighton Metropolitan College
Book your place
To find out more, please contact us on email@example.com.