Together with the Saïd Business School, Oxford University, we have designed the Further Education Chairs' Leadership Programme to support Chairs in being able to:
- take time out to reflect on their role as governance leaders
- identify ways in which they can further enhance the value they add to the Board and their wider organisation.
The programme is funded and subsidised by the Department for Education (DfE) and is an indication of how important the government view the role of the Chair and strong governance leadership to:
- establishing and agreeing the purpose of the college
- directly influencing those who serve on the board
- helping to set the conditions for long-term institutional resilience and success.
To book onto one of the first two cohorts of the Chairs' Leadership Programme on 7/8 March or 21/22 March 2019, visit our booking page.
This programme forms part of the portfolio of DfE-funded Leadership Development Programmes including those for Principals/CEOs, which over 125 from across the Further Education (FE) and Training Sector have attended.
The key benefits for chairs taking part are:
- deepened understanding of the role of the chair and the board in the context of broader trends within the FE and Training sector
- greater self-awareness of personal leadership approach and enhanced impact
- deeper and broader networks of peers within the FE sector and beyond
- strengthened leadership capability within the organisation.
The key benefits for the organisation that the chair leads are:
- the development of more robust governance leadership and increased organisational resilience.
- enhanced ability to establish conditions for success at the level of the Board, and to drive high performance through the wider organisation.
- strengthened leadership capability between the organisation and external networks.
- raising reputation and esteem at the level of the organisation.
The programme explores governance leadership with a clear focus on the development of the Chair’s personal impact as a reflective leader of the Board and wider organisation.
The programme consists of an immersive 24-hour learning experience at Oxford, in which there will be opportunities to hear from thought-leaders in the field of governance leadership, fellow practitioners from within and beyond the sector, key stakeholders within the Further Education sector system, with ample opportunity for debate, dialogue and reflection.
Sessions are designed to facilitate discussion and stimulate new thinking, to generate on-going learning both in those with deep governance experience as well as those new to the role of Chair, to encourage the sharing of practice and knowledge, and to create new networks of governance leaders across the sector.
The content is based on these themes:
- Purpose: the role of the Chair and the Board in ensuring that the organisation delivers on its purpose.
- Performance: establishing high performance within the Board, and within the broader organisation.
- People: how the Board works successfully together and with the senior team and wider staff of the organisation.
- Board dynamics, culture, and diversity.
- Challenge and support: the relationships between Chair, Clerk and CEO.
- Reputation and the role of the Chair and Board in establishing the capability and character of the organisation.
- Sector changes and dynamics: the broader context and macro-trends.
Testimonials about this programme:
Book your place
To find out more, please contact Evan Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org